Director of Communications & Marketing
Ploughshares Fund is a global security foundation that seeks to reduce nuclear threats and ultimately eliminate nuclear weapons. We believe everyone has the right to a safe and secure future. In order to fundamentally transform nuclear policy, we seek to strengthen the nuclear field with new voices and diverse perspectives; motivate the public and build power with allies; stimulate new approaches and challenge status quo thinking; and catalyze inclusion within the nuclear field and our organization through Equity Rises.
The Director of Communications and Marketing reports directly to the Managing Director, is part of the senior leadership team, and is responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive communications strategy that supports our organizational goals. The Director has direct management responsibility for the communications team, including a Communications and Marketing Manager and a Communications and Marketing Specialist. This position is highly strategic with some tactical activities.
In this job you will:
- Communications Strategy and Messaging (50%)
- Marketing and Content Creation (30%)
- Management and Operations (10%)
- Program Support (10%)
To do this job, you will need to have the following skills. We understand that candidates may not initially have all of these skills, but we ask that you have most of them when you apply.
- Design, implement, evaluate and adjust a strategic communications plan that aligns with organizational strategy and is responsive to external events.
- Define and build an organizational brand and key messaging.
- Use social media and other new platforms to engage new audiences (donors, policy makers, media, etc.) and gain new donors.
- Manage complex projects that focus on collaboration, delegation of tasks to multiple parties, and attention to timelines and budgets.
- Work collaboratively across departments, with Board members, and community partners to develop communications strategies and key messaging.
- Communicate through writing and speaking or signing in a way that is comprehensive and accurate, as well as tonally appropriate for and easily understood by internal and external audiences.
- Manage a team, including providing direction, delegating, ensuring responsibilities are met, and building their skills.
- Cultivate a network of media and journalist contacts.
- Expand knowledge about the nuclear field and the field of philanthropy.
For this position we require that you have the following experience:
- 7 or more years of relevant work experience: building and implementing a strategic communications plan and working with media databases, web management platforms, e-mail marketing programs, and industry standard copyediting tools.
- 3 or more years managing a team.
- 3 or more years overseeing a key function of an organization.
Please view the attached PDF for the full job description.
Please submit your application here, along with a resume and cover letter that highlight how you meet the required skills and experience noted above. Applications are due by July 29, 2022. Please do not contact us by phone. To learn more about Ploughshares Fund, please visit ploughshares.org.